Google+ Random Musing of a Doctor: Sleep Aids: Not A Magic Cure expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'> Google+

Random Musing of a Doctor Headline Animator

Monday, March 23, 2015

Sleep Aids: Not A Magic Cure


Over-the-counter sleep aids can be effective for an occasional sleepless night. There are a few caveats, however. Most over-the-counter sleep aids contain antihistamines. Tolerance to the sedative effects of antihistamines can develop quickly — so the longer you take them, the less likely they are to make you sleepy.
In addition, some over-the-counter sleep aids can leave you feeling groggy and unwell the next day. This is the so-called hangover effect. Medication interactions are possible as well,
and much remains unknown about the safety and effectiveness of over-the-counter sleep aids.

    Important precautions

    When using over-the-counter sleep aids, follow these steps:
    • Start with your doctor. You don't need your doctor's OK to take an over-the-counter sleep aid. But it's a good idea to ask your doctor if the sleep aid might interact with other medications or underlying conditions, and to determine the best dosage.
    • Keep precautions in mind. Diphenhydramine and doxylamine aren't recommended for people who have closed-angle glaucoma, asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, sleep apnea, severe liver disease, digestive system obstruction, or urinary retention. In addition, sleep aids pose risks for women who are pregnant or breast-feeding, and might pose risks to people over age 75, including the risk of stroke.
    • Take it one day at a time. Over-the-counter sleep aids are a temporary solution for insomnia. Generally, they're not intended to be used for longer than two weeks.
    • Avoid alcohol. Never mix alcohol and sleep aids. Alcohol can increase the sedative effects of the medication.
    • Beware of side effects. Don't drive or attempt other activities that require alertness while taking sleep aids.
    Everyone benefits from a good night's sleep. If you continue to have trouble sleeping, consult your doctor for additional help. In addition to lifestyle changes, your doctor might recommend behavior therapy to help you learn new sleep habits and ways to make your sleeping environment more conducive to sleep. In some cases, short-term use of prescription sleep aids might be recommended as well.
    Source: mayoclinic.org

3 comments:



  1. I am Ross mary, I want to give a testimony about how are get my HIV virus cured by a great DR OBOITE. spell caster Since last 4 months I have being a HIV AIDS patient. I never think I live long again and am so grateful about him DR OBOITE. who help me cured my HIV AIDS last 3 weeks. I was in a great pain so I told one of my best friends; he told me that there is a great spell caster that can cure my Virus. I asked her if she had his email, she gave me his email, I emailed him he talked to me and he perform the necessary rituals and he told me that after two weeks I should go for a test. Which I did, when the doctor told me that am now a HIV negative I couldn’t believe myself I went to see another doctor the result was still the same, I was human on planet earth, so I emailed him and thanked him. Please if you are having a similar problem please visit him/contact him at ; droboitespellcaster@gmail.com ; all thanks to DR OBOITE. or contact us +2349030490659 Regard...

    ReplyDelete


  2. I am Ross mary, I want to give a testimony about how are get my HIV virus cured by a great DR OBOITE. spell caster Since last 4 months I have being a HIV AIDS patient. I never think I live long again and am so grateful about him DR OBOITE. who help me cured my HIV AIDS last 3 weeks. I was in a great pain so I told one of my best friends; he told me that there is a great spell caster that can cure my Virus. I asked her if she had his email, she gave me his email, I emailed him he talked to me and he perform the necessary rituals and he told me that after two weeks I should go for a test. Which I did, when the doctor told me that am now a HIV negative I couldn’t believe myself I went to see another doctor the result was still the same, I was human on planet earth, so I emailed him and thanked him. Please if you are having a similar problem please visit him/contact him at ; droboitespellcaster@gmail.com ; all thanks to DR OBOITE. or contact us +2349030490659 Regard...

    ReplyDelete
  3. My name is MERCY LARA, I am here to give my testimony about a doctor who helped me in my life. I was infected with HIV VIRUS in 2006, i went to many hospitals for cure but there was no solution, so I was thinking how can I get a solution out so that my body can be okay. One day I was in the river side thinking where I can go to get solution. so a lady walked to me telling me why am I so sad and i open up all to her telling her my problem, she told me that she can help me out, she introduce me to a doctor who uses herbal medication to cure HIV VIRUS and gave me his email, so i email him. He told me all the things I need to do and also give me instructions to take, which I followed properly. Before I knew what is happening after four weeks the HIV VIRUS that was in my body got cured so if you are also heart broken and also need a help, you can also email him at dr.obhiotorherbalhome@gmail.com or call+2347064851317
    DR OBHIOTOR CAN AS WELL CURE THE FOLLOWING DISEASE
    1.HIV/AIDS
    2.HERPES
    3.ALS
    4.STROKE
    5.HEPATITIS B
    6.GONORRHEA
    7.SYPHILIS
    8.PREGNANCY
    9.ABORTION
    10.C.O.P.D/M.N.D...
    11.KIDNEY PROBLEM

    ReplyDelete

Infolinks